Friday, September 30, 2005

The wee hours

I got to sleep last night, which was good. But I woke up a little before seven (nature was calling. It was saying "chris... chris... Hey CHRIS! Go to the damn bathroom!). And in that groggy, pre-awake state, I had a thought that I, personally, thought was funny enough that I made sure to grab my cell phone and text it to myself so that I'd remember it and be able to post it here today. Now, be aware that I have no clue as to where this thought came from. It just popped in there. I'm not sure if it was the result of some sort of dream, or what, but it made me laugh, so hopefully you all will too.

I visualized a guy in his late 30s getting out of bed because there's a banging/rustling side going on outside his house. He puts on his robe and his slippers and grabs his baseball bat (guys always seem to have a baseball bat in these sorts of situations) and flashlight, and proceeds to go outside. Once out there, he determines that the banging was one of his abnormally large trashcans falling over, and the rustling is also coming from that direction. "Damn raccoons" he figures as he slowly starts to walk over, uncertain as to how many of them their might be with the rabies and everything. As he gets closer and is shining the light around the cans (which are about people-height), another can falls over and his flashlight catches the face of a teletubby in its beam. It's the green one. The two fix their gaze on each other for a moment, before the guy snaps back to reality and starts running at it with the bat screaming "You goddamn teletubbies better stay the hell out of my trash!" And the teletubby takes off into the night, answering back with "Again again! Again again!"

Now, it was more or less their point of contact that I visualized at 6:49AM (according to my phone), but I thought something of a back story and a resolution would help the overall feel of the story. In trying to analyze it, I'm sure some part of it is inspired by that one cell phone company commercial where the guy had to go nocturnal so he could use his minutes, and he gets caught in a car's headlights and freezes and is later seen rummaging through trash. That's very much the flavor of this teletubby vision: comical in its absurdity. Hopefully you laughed, but hopefully more-so you didn't call the nearby mental hospital and have them send over some of their men in the white coats. They don't stay out of my trash either.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home