Friday, June 27, 2008

The Other Boleyn Girl?

I'm not sure what that movie's all about, but I'm fairly sure that it's plot is vastly different than that of which I write tonight. But 1) A catchy title really draws in the crowd, doesn't it? and 2) Since when have my titles even resembled rational thoughts?

So, for a year and a half now I've been dating an amazing and wonderful gal, we're moving in together in September (MASSIVE step for the commitment-phobe that some of you may know me to be), and, in general, things're cool. Every once in a while, however, small hurdles come up (as they tend to in relationships), and they must be crossed. (I'd like to disclaim that they are, in fact, small hurdles, and that overall we're probably the healthiest relationship I've ever witnessed, much less been a part of.) This particular hurdle involves my girlfriend's best friend, "Gretchen."

Myself, my girlfriend, Gretchen and her fiance, and a smattering of other people all play D&D regularly (as you might have gathered from previous posts). The first four of that list sort of represent the core group; we all play in all the games, and the four of us hang out with each other with relative frequency even when we're not playing. We're a pretty tight-knit foursome. The trouble is that Gretchen's fiance and my girlfriend have expressed twinges of jealousy at how close of friends Gretchen and I have become.

Now, years and years ago, in a galaxy not too far from one that's close to this one, my good friend "May" and I were quite the eccentric couple of friends. She and I had a sibling-like relationship, one that consisted of constant screwing with each other, trying to one-up each other, searching for creative put-downs, etc. We were close, we had fun with each other, and everyone we encountered asked how long we'd been dating. Without exception, every single person assumed we were going out.

Back to Gretchen. Since May's moved away, I don't see her that much anymore. (I saw her for a half-hour over my lunch break since christmas...) Although Gretchen is by no means May's replacement (I'd never presume that either one was replaceable), I've developed a friendship with her similar to the one that I had with May. Playful-degrading banter, mock-hatred, just... sibling bickering is the only real way to describe it. Now, if Gretchen and I give off even half the vibe that May and I did, I can understand how my girlfriend and Gretchen's fiance could be jealous of that. I get it, I do. The question is, what am I supposed to do about it?

Now, my g/f hasn't told me not to talk to Gretchen or anything like that; she knows we're just friends, etc and so-forth. But I understand her feelings of jealousy, and I will in no way jeopardize the relationship I have with my girlfriend; I've never met anyone like her, nor do I expect I ever will again. She's perfect for me, in all aspects. But I've gotten close with Gretchen; I consider her a good friend. (Incidentally, I consider Gretchen's fiance a good friend too; he just doesn't talk (or, more appropriately, text) as often as his soon-to-be-wife does.) So where's the compromise? How do I respect my girlfriend's feelings, without blowing-off a friend? Any thoughts? Anyone? ... Hello? ...

...

I know you're out there... I can hear you breathing...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home